BRISBANE: +61 7 350 36778 MELBOURNE: +61 3 994 84091 SYDNEY: +61 2 802 28423
About VVRS Australia
VVRS SPICES TURMERIC
Turmeric is a spice made from grinding the roots of the Curcuma longa plant, also called curcumin. It is a prime ingredient in curry powder and figures heavily in Asian cuisines. Because it imparts a vivid yellow color to the food it is cooked with, it is often used to color as well as flavor condiments, rice dishes and sauces. Turmeric’s active ingredient is curcumin. It is thought to be an anti-inflammatory, as well as an antioxidant. Antioxidants are substances that are thought to help prevent aging by inhibiting the breakdown of cells by oxidation.
1) Kitchen Use
Turmeric is used as coloring agent. It is used to color as well as flavor prepared pickles, relish, chutneys and rice dishes. Turmeric is combined with almost every dish in India. It is also combined in rice dishes. It is a very important ingredient of curry powders. It is also used in stews and curries.
2) Medicinal use
WOUND, BRUISES and SPRAIN:
- Apply bit of turmeric on cuts and scrapes after washing them with cold water.
- Take 1 tsp turmeric powder with hot milk.
- Make a bandage of the following things and apply on the wound: mix 4 tsp flour, 2 tsp turmeric powder, 1tsp pure ghee, 1/2 tsp sendha namak (non refined salt) with water.
- Take 500ml of water and boil it with 1 tsp sendha namak and 1 tsp turmeric powder. Give fomentation to the bruised part with a cloth soaked in this water. This will help get rid of pain and swelling in that region.
- Dusting turmeric powder on wounds also helps in relieving the pain and swelling.
- Apply the paste of turmeric and sesame oil on body to prevent eruptions.
- To avoid any kind of skin problems apply turmeric paste before a bath.
- To cure itching take roasted turmeric with jaggery.
- To eliminate freckles and spots rub ground turmeric on stone with the help of water and then apply this paste on skin.
- You can also make a paste of ground turmeric with milk of banyan or pipal and soak it overnight and then apply it for 1 hour before bath. This will help in removing freckles and also give glow to the face.
- Make a pudding of 2 tsp flour with 1 tsp ghee and 1 tsp turmeric, 2 tsp sugar and 1 cup water and take this in the morning it will help in curing Utricaria.
- To get instant relief from acidity take turmeric powder and salt in equal quantity with warm water.
- Taking curd or butter milk with turmeric after lunch cures digestive problems.
- Grind 4 gms turmeric, 4 gms dried ginger, 2 gms black pepper and 2 gms cardomom and take this mixture after meals this will aid digestion and will eliminate flatulence.
LIVER PROTECTION: Turmeric helps in minimizing liver damages caused by taking excess alcohol regularly or using pain-killer.
ARTHRITIS: Turmeric help relieve wound inflammation and in treating arthritis.
HEART PROTECTION: Turmeric helps in reducing cholesterol.